exploring slipcovers


[image from french garden house]


more popular than ever before, custom slipcovers mimic upholstery and offer a quick change without buying new furniture.   I've been walking around my house lately, craving a change (the pitfalls of being a designer is always wanting new looks and rearranging furniture a lot) slipcovers are looking pretty good to me right now.....
they can bring the look of upholstery to wooden dining chairs
I REALLY need a change there!. . . .
I love how slipcovers soften the look of wooden chairs and add a softer dimension to a hard surfaced dining room


I love the look of fresh white slipcovers, but it wouldn't suit my dining area - I need to find a nice 'beigey linen type' fabric (how's that for definite?)
they are good for covering worn surfaces (from designer Brooke Gianetti's home) if your upholstery is a little 'aged' or outdated


perfect for neutralizing your decor
but by the same token, you could ADD color with slipcovers




they almost look like clothing for your furniture with little flirty skirts
This beigey linen type fabric (I knew there was such a thing) would work better at my house than white.  Now to decide if the skirt should go to the floor or be short and flirty....
looking even more like clothing for your furniture with laces and gathered skirting
I really love those dressmaker details on a slipcover


like buttons
(there's that beigey linen type fabric again)
or pleats
or tiny little ruffles and ties
 and more ties...


you can choose to cover or expose wood trim


have a scalloped hem or straight
this adorable chair has little pleated ruffles and an embroidered monogram
and the ties look like ballet slipper laces
who knew slipcovers could be so detailed!




Below is Billy Joel's home in the Hamptons.  Notice the slipcovered sofas
the neutral palette allows the artwork to take center stage
Not all slipcovers are white, but neutral slipcovers will allow you to change your decor easily
(just change out the pillows and accessories and you have an entirely new look)
from fresh, cool and collected
to warm and inviting


soft neutral calm
or beachy charm
only the accent fabrics and accessories need change
(this slipcover actually covers a daybed)


slipcovers fit any decorating style
If you like the white, but have pets or children - just remember
they're washable!
(if you have them custom made, make sure you use a washable fabric - and white does have advantages in that it can be bleached...)
Pottery barn has used them successfully for years


But... they don't have to be white....


use a patterned, colored, or textured fabric


sofas and chairs are not the only furniture that can be slipcovered
change the look of your bed with a slipcovered head or footboard.


a slipcover from an old rug covers the 'less than attractive' bed in this room
what a brilliant idea (I wonder if you have to vacuum it)


If you are interest in slipcovers, I have resources. I can also recommend a book on how to make them if you are adventurous.  I'm considering going along that 'adventurous' route myself - by attempting to make my own dining room chair slipcovers.....I'll let you know how that goes.....
  wish me luck!


I AM INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT CUSTOM SLIPCOVERS, PARTICULARLY THE PHOTOS YOU HAVE SEEN AND
 WELCOME YOUR COMMENTS!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top